- Our body is made up of five elements like agni (fire), vayu (air), akasha (ether), bhumi (earth) and jala (water) and when there is disturbance in these elements, it can lead to an imbalance of physical and mental body which cause disease. Yogic asanas help to cure physical diseases and yogic mudra a part of meditation helps to cure mental body. Our hand fingers have great role in practicing these mudra and help to cure disease because these elements are represented on the five fingers of hand.
- Mudra is a hand gesture that guides the energy flow to specific areas of the brain. Practice of mudra with different yogic practice leads to increased flow of prana in the body. When we perform mudras the free nerve ending on the fingers gets connected that create a subtle connection with the instinctual patterns in the brain and influence the unconscious reflexes in these areas. The internal energy is in turne balanced and redirected, affecting change in the sensory organs, glands, veins and tendons.
This is the first yoga mudra pose known as gyan mudra or the mudra of knowledge.
How to do?
Practice this mudra while doing meditations. It is perfect when you do it early in the mornings with a fresh mind. Touch the tip of your index finger with the tip of your thumb. The other three fingers, you may keep straight or just keep it free, doesn’t matter even if they are slightly bent.
This is a very beneficial mudra and anyone can practice this.
- As the name suggests, this mudra is meant to increase your concentration and memory power.
- This mudra sharpens your brain power.
- It has the ability to cure insomnia.
- Practice this mudra regularly to heal yourself of all mental and psychological disorders like anger, stress, anxiety or even depression.
- This Mudra stimulates the air elements of your body thus purifies our brain, pituitary glands, empowers mind and cures many nervous problems.
- Gyan Mudra helps in treating diseases such as Hypothyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism, Hypoadrenalism, Hypopituitarism, and other similar ailments.
- This Mudra is an exercise to boost the air elements. Thus it helps in curing respiratory issues.
How to do?
This mudra can be practiced in a standing, sitting or lying down posture. It’s easy to do. Fold your index finger. As you fold your fingers you can see two bones. These are called phalanx bones. When you have folded your index finger the second bone that you see, you have to press it with the base of your thumb just as shown in the above picture. The rest of the three fingers should be kept extended as much as possible.
Do this at any time of the day as per your convenience. There is also no compulsion of doing this at an empty stomach. You may also practice this mudra with a full stomach.
Once you achieve the benefits from this mudra, stop doing it. After a certain time, it may cause imbalance within your system.
- As the name suggests vaayu mudra, it balances the air element within your body. This mudra releases excess wind from stomach and body thereby reducing rheumatic and chest pain.
- Vayu Mudra improve stiffness in the neck.
- Reduces Knee Pain to a great extent.
- Nervous system (systema nervosum) works more effective with day-to-day practice.
- Helps in gout problem.
- Painful sensation in the joints of hands and feet are cured.
- It helps in Paralysis and Hysteria.
How to do?
Fold your ring finger and press the second phalanx with the base of your thumb. Keep the rest of the fingers straight. This mudra should be practiced only in sitting position early in the morning with an empty stomach. Maintain this mudra for atleast 15 minutes every day.
But if you are suffering from acidity or indigestion, avoid this mudra.
- It helps to dissolve the extra fat boosting metabolism and controls obesity.
- Quickens digestion.
- Improves body strength.
- Reduces stress and tension.
- Controls high cholesterol levels.
How to do?
Touch the tip of your ring finger with the tip of your thumb. Pressing the tips of these two fingers, keep the rest of the fingers extended out . It is preferable that you perform this mudra in the morning. However you may even do it at any time of the day and for any duration. Sit in a padmasana keeping the palms of both your hands on your knees with straight elbows. Perform this asana when you feel stressed out and exhausted. Padmasana accompanied by this mudra will immediately perk you up. This is also an amazing mudra yoga for glowing skin.
Nothing at all. Perform this asana freely.
- It improves blood circulation throughout the body.
- Increases patience and tolerance.
- Increases concentration while meditating.
- Helps strengthen weak and lean bones. Also increases weight of people suffering from low weight.
- It reduces weakness, exhaustion and dullness of mind.
- This mudra makes you more beautiful by improving your complexion and giving a natural glow to your skin.
This is the best yogic mudra for your outer beauty. It has a positive effect on your skin and keeps it away off all problems. A very effective yoga asana for your overall health let us learn to do this mudra with perfection.
How to do?
Lightly touch the tip of your little finger with the tip of your thumb. The rest of the fingers should be kept straight. There is no specific time to perform this mudra. You may do it at any time of the day and in any position, but sitting cross-legged when doing this mudra is preferable.
Take care not to press the tip of the little finger near the nail. That will cause dehydration instead of balancing the water level in your body.
- Varun mudra balances the water content in our body.
- It activates fluid circulation within the body keeping it moisturized always.
- It cures all skin issues like dryness, skin disease and skin infections. Moreover it also prevents the appearance of pimples for a longer time.
- It adds a natural glow and luster to your face.
- Varun mudra also relieves and prevents any muscle pains that you may suffer from.
- The occurrence of cramps and stiffness can be highly diminished by the practice of this Mudra.
- Issues related to degradation in blood count such as an anemia , can be prevented.
How to do it?
Press the first phalanx of your middle finger with the thumb.
After you are cured of these diseases, stop practicing this mudra.
- Practicing this mudra with full concentration will cure earache within 5-10 minutes at the most.
- It is also very helpful if someone is deaf or mentally challenged. But those who are handicapped inborn won’t benefit from this mudra.
- Hearing loss due to old age or some disease
- Chronic underlying problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure or brain disorders
- Chronic stress and anxiety
- Thyroid and hormonal imbalances
How to do it?
Press your ring finger and press it with the thumb just as shown in the picture.
- It is quite beneficial when it comes to reducing bad cholesterol.
- This is an amazing yoga mudra for weight loss that comes handy.
- Reduces anxiety.
- Also improves your digestion.
- Increases metabolism.
- Helps in cold, cough, shivering condition.
This is a very important mudra as it activates the energy in your body.
How to do it?
This yoga mudra pose should be accompanied along with padmasana. Bend your ring finger and little finger and touch the tip of both these fingers with the tip of your thumb.
There is no specific time to perform this asana. Any time of the day will be suitable.
- This mudra improves your immune system.
- It also increases your eye power and also cures any sort of eye diseases.
- It reduces fatigue and tiredness.
- These are some very important mudras in yoga and are beneficial for your health. Practice them every day.
- During fasting, practicing prana mudra helps to sustain and maintain energy level despite low intake of food and water.
- Muscle spasm, painful sensation and weakness in the legs by improving blood circulation.
- It is helpful in case of headache, migraine and sciatica as well.
- Helps to overcome the negative feelings such as fear, nervousness, tension, anxiety, anger .